[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: teH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:44:10 PDT 2012

Am 30.07.2012 16:48, schrieb [Voragh]:

>>    parmaq choH pagh teHqu', choH tu'DI' lajDaj.
>>    Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds

Lieven:
> I know that such translations are enver literally, but I still don't
> understand completely. Can somebody please give me a literal
> translation?

Here's the part of the sonnet poem Okrand translated, followed by Qov's litteral translation, which she posted to the list on March 20th:

              Sonnet 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
admit impediments. Love is not love
which alters when it alteration finds,
or bends with the remover to remove:
Oh, no! It is an ever-fixed mark.
That looks on tempests and is never shaken.

yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
nge'wI' rurQo' bangna'; SIHlu'be'chu'.
parmaq choH pagh teHqu', choH tu'DI' lajDaj.
ghobe'! qarbejbogh DoDvam qontaH 'u'
jevqu'taHvIS muD ral, bejlI' parmaq.
Qombe'! nISbe' jevwI', 'ej not ruS baq.

Let me prevent that anything sabotage the mutual joining of loyal minds.
A real lover refuses to be like a remover; (s)he is completely unbent.
Very true[ly] nothing changes love when its acceptance finds change.
No! The universe records these coordinates which are definitely accurate.
While the violent atmosphere storms, love still watches.
It does not tremble! The storm does not disrupt it, and it never terminates
the bond.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons