[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay cha'vatlh loSmaH chorgh: quv tobmeH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:54:39 PDT 2012

Qov:
>> jatlh Qa'bar, <may'Duj beqlIj DaSeHlaHbe'chugh chay' wo'
>> Dache'? yejquvvaD Dojbe' wanI'vam, Sa'. wa'Hu' yejquvvaD
>> naDlIj Qav[308] vIngeHpu' 'ach nIlajpa' vIta'Ha'vIpbe'.
>> DujlIjDaq qaStaH nuq?>
>>
>> [308] I'm bothered wondering whether Qav means "final"
>> or "most recent" or both. It could mean either here, but
>> still doesn't necessarily make sense. I'm trying for the
>> idea of the final one in a series.

  'eb Qav jatlhpu'
  He said, "Last call!" CK

  veH Qav 'oH logh'e'
  space--the final frontier. S99

  neSlo' tonSaw' Qav
  "The Final Reflection" (the novel by John Ford)

  ghIq QavwI'chaj DuQchu'
  qeylIS betleH
  chaHDaq SIStaHvIS negh 'Iw

  Then Kahless's bat'leth
  Pierced the last of them,
  Showered with the soldiers' blood.
    [PB, paq'raD, Canto 13, Stanza 5 (p136-137)]

KGT 177:  On the other extreme, when {-DIch} is attached to {Hoch} ("all"), the resulting word, {HochDIch} ("allth") is used as an alternate for {Qav} ("be final, last") to refer to the final one of a series whose members either were counted or could have been counted, as in {pIpyuS pach HochDIch DaSoppu'} ("You've eaten the last pipius claw"). The word also may be used to describe the final step of a process. Speaking of the Rite of Ascension, one might say {'oy'naQ Dachu'Ha'DI' mIw HochDIch Data'} ("When you turn the painstik off, you accomplish the last step").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons