[Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 'ay' 2 - yIlop; chaq wa'leS maHegh!

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:03:09 PDT 2012

QeS:
>> joH puqbe' che'choHmoHlu'

Qov:
> wot cho' Daqelpu''a'?

QeS:
>> HIja'... Hard to explain why I went for che'choH. I thought cho' had
>> more of a focus on the event of the transition from old ruler to new,
>> where che'choH feels more like focusing on just the new ruler. Maybe
>> I'm overthinking it. (I do that a lot. Can you tell?)

Qov:
> I don't know the original (and I like not knowing) so I don't know
> what you're going for specifically. There's nothing wrong with the
> effect achieved ... although I must admit I thought this sentence was
> saying she had taken over, until we got to people arriving for the
> coronation later. Maybe a tugh would have helped.

AFAIK we have one example of the verb {cho'} "succeed (to authority) also marked with {-choH}:

  ghIq jach qa'rol
  maQ 'oH
  HemHa'choH 'ej cho'choH moratlh

  Then the {qa'rol} raises voice
  The signal for Morath
  To lose his pride and claim a throne.
    (PB, paq'yav, Canto 4)

Is {cho'} used elsewhere in the paq'batlh?

As for {che'} "rule, reign, run, preside", we have two examples:

DaH che' ghawran.  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta'
 cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD.
Gowron currently presides, named leader of the High Council
 by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of
 Succession. S25

qIb boche'meH qeylIS HoS bolo' 'ej SuvwI' vaSDaq boquvmoHlu'.
Control the Galaxy with the might of Kahless and be immortalized
 in the Hall of Warriors. MKE

Also just FYI... on looking at my notes I see we have the verb {ghatlh} "dominate" which just begs to be used somewhere, although there are no known examples in canon AFAIK.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons