[Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 'ay' 1 - DujlIj yIvoq

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Jul 29 14:24:21 PDT 2012

At 06:29 '?????' 7/29/2012, Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh wrote:

>ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> > Also I just realized that you're deliberately leaving a space
> > between the guillemets and the text. Who else likes that better?
>
>jIjangpu', jIjatlh:
> > Partly I do that because of my experience with French guillemets,
> > but it also looks less crowded IMHO.
>
>jatlh je Qov:
> > I knew you liked it better, because you did it. I
> > was fantasizing that someone else was reading,
> > too. :-)
>
>Oh, I know (and I was kinda hoping myself!).
>
> > Also I would have to add hard spaces everywhere, and that's too
> > much like work.
>
>Ah. I hadn't thought of that... definitely a useful point. You may
>convince me yet.

I pulled all my non-English novels off the shelf and looked through
at the different techniques. It's funny how much you don't see, once
you accept that that's speech.  I still haven't figured out the
typographical rules for Russian, which sometimes uses the seagulls (I
can't find an English name for them, but "seagulls" is perfect
because a) they look like sideways seagulls and b) guillemot is a
sort of seabird.

>jIH:
> > maS'e' So'choHbogh QIb wov law' Hov wov puS, 'ej vaj qabbogh
> > qeSlIj'e' nIv law' QaQbogh qeS'e' lunobbogh latlh nIv puS.
>
>Qov:
> > I stumbled over 'ej vaj, preferring vaj aone.
>
>jIH:
> > Fair enough. An adverb for "in the same way" or "likewise" is very
> > high on my wishlist.
>
>Qov:
> > I have wanted one for a while. Recently, I think
> > in e-mail to you, I experimented with jaSHa'. No results yet.
>
>I like that. "No differently." Hm - maybe we can ask Marc about it
>at qep'a'.

jaS jatlhlu'chugh vaj nuSovmoHlaH.

>jIH:
> > [2] Relocating to Qo'noS as the Klingon Hamlet did. As a result
> > there's a lot of Christian references to tone down, so there'll
> > be a lot of vague QI'tu's and qeylISes.
>
>Qov:
> > Daj. We're talking Georgia as in Gruzinskaya,
> > no? I would have thought it was Muslim. ghorgh qaS?
>
>jIH:
> > Yep, that's the one (Sakartvelo). It adopted Christianity as the
> > state religion in 319 AD and it's remained so since then.
>
>Qov:
> > I did not know that. Literacy often travels with religion,
>
>Absolutely. Most of the earliest Georgian inscriptions are from
>old monasteries and churches, or religious texts and I think it
>might be why the Georgian alphabet was devised in the first place.

Very cool.  The Russian alphabet is essentially most of the Greek
alphabet with a few tweaks, plus a few Hebrew letters tacked on the
end for sounds Greek doesn't approach, so as Georgian didn't look
anything like Greek or Latin I assumed they made it up themselves or
got it somewhere else.  But now that I see the letters individually
(I'd only seen the script in sentences, on Soviet multilingual
inscriptions and the like) I can see the Greek. I guess if you have a
creative and inspired missionary, you get a new script.  I wonder if
there are any diaries or records surviving from such first millennium
evangelists. They didn't have modern or potentially any linguistics
training to go on, but some of them seem to have bestowed the right
squiggles on their proselytes.

> > whoa, I just looked up the Georgian alphabet on Wikipedia to
> > see if there was a name for the script family, I'd assumed it
> > was related to Arabic, but that is one messy mess. They have
> > three separate alphabets.
>
>HIja'! 'ach nIpon Hol Deghmey rurbe'chu'. notlh cha'; wa' neH
>lulo' DaHjaj Georgianganpu' 'ej Holchaj QIch wabmey 'oSchu' (it's
>fully phonemic).

Wikipedia De' lut vIlaDta'. Dun!  Hol vIparHa'bej. loDnalwI'vaD
jIjatlh, "'Italya' wIghoSpu'DI' Georgia wIghoS 'e' Dachaw''a'?"

jatlh, "Sure."

wa' Doch lIjpu' ghaH. vIneHDI' vIruch, 'ej ghIb vay' 'e' vIlIjbe'.

> > You're reading this in an English translation, or you know
> > Georgian?
>
>Nope, it's coming from a translation, though it's a highly regarded
>one that follows the original verse-by-verse and has a bundle of
>annotations on the nuances of the original Georgian. (Also in the
>public domain, which is handy.) With the help of good dictionaries
>I can also puzzle out bits of the original if the translation is
>unclear.

I wasn't implying, by the way, that the project required working from
the original, I was just preparing to be stunned and impressed if
fluency in Georgian was among your talents. As it is, lut vItIvlI'.
latlh! latlh!

- Qov