[Tlhingan-hol] Weather infinitives

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 24 12:03:15 PDT 2012

On 7/24/2012 10:31 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> I think it's an elided, unstated subject almost. perfectly analogous
> to English "it" in the equivalent statement.

But what you describe isn't analogous to the English. In English "it"
doesn't refer to an unstated antecedent noun like "the sky" or "the
clouds." (You wouldn't look up and say "They are raining.") "It" is a
dummy subject used because English requires an explicit noun there, but
none is being expressed.

This is why I wondered if Klingon does something similar, only using an
uninflected, kinda-sorta "infinitive" verb rather than a dummy subject.
In the same instances where English would use "it," Klingon uses a
subjectless, non-finite verb, because no subject is being referred to.

Non-finite verbs are not unknown in Klingon. There's one in {ghojmeH
taj}, for example: {taj} is not the subject of {ghojmeH}; in fact,
{ghojmeH} doesn't *have* a subject. It's the idea of learning without
being attached to a particular learner. That's what I'm suggesting with
the weather verbs: they can express a "weather action" not being
performed by any given subject, even if something objectively makes them
happen. Yes, the atmosphere rains, but I'm not talking about what the
atmosphere is doing; I'm talking about the rainy weather. "It's
raining," not "the sky is raining." Both are legitimate English
sentences, but only one is used colloquially to discuss the weather.

Given that Okrand accepts all of DloraH's examples that lack subjects,
but balks when he suggests an indefinite subject (which *is* a kind of
subject, even if it is indefinite), I thought the idea had merit.

> I think a Klingon pressured to provide the subject would respond
> pretty much the way a non-linguistically read  English speaker would:
> perhaps suggest muD/'eng/chal/qo' or just say that there isn't one,
> it's just the way you say it.

Right. An English speaker would normally say "it's raining," but if
pressed to explain what "it" is, would *have to think about and choose*
an antecedent. But he would never say conversationally, "The sky is
raining."

> I think it came about that it works this way in Klingon because
> Enfludh is Marc's native language and when he isn't going out of his
> way to find an alien  way to do something, he falls back on what
> comes naturally to him.

He does this sometimes, but he usually does it when he's not focusing on
the grammar in question (i.e., he does it subconsciously). Whenever he
is explaining grammar to us, he goes out of his way to think carefully
about it before telling us. My own impression, not backed up by any
evidence, is that he was perfectly aware of what he was doing with
{SIS}, whether it was analogous to the English dummy "it" or not.

http://www.trimboli.name/