[Tlhingan-hol] pongHa' & pongbe'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 14:57:29 PDT 2012

Qov:
>> Duj pongHa'pu' HoD - The captain has misnamed the ship.  - given it the
>> wrong name, perhaps. Or stricken the name from the register.
>>
>> Duj pongHa'lu'bogh - the mis/denamed ship. It has the wrong name woyld be my
>> forst impression and I'd that didn't make sense I'd see if unnaming it did.

Another meaning of {pongHa'} might be "to strip of a name", i.e., to
remove a name from someone or something.  Since names are so important
in Klingon culture, this might suggest more than a mere "unnaming",
similar to how {naDHa'} is not merely retracting your previous
commendation of someone, but actually discommending them.

'anan naHQun:
> So let's say that a ship has been damaged in battle, but it's repairable.
> The crew at the repair facility is restoring the vessel and during
> this process; they remove the pIqaD lettering from the hull and the
> dedication plaque from the bridge.
>
> It's currently just a shell of a ship; but it still needs to be listed
> on an inventory for the shipyard.
>
> From the looks of the replies; we're certainly wanting {-Ha'} over
> {-be'}, as I had expected.
>
> What would you expect to see on the screen?
>
> {pongHa'lu'}, {pongHa'lu'bogh}, simply {pongHa'}?

pagh :-)

(The "Pagh" was the name of a Klingon ship seen in ST:TNG.  Of course,
it also means "nothing".)