[Tlhingan-hol] pongHa' & pongbe'

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Jul 13 15:15:34 PDT 2012

At first I thought maybe pongHa' would be "call somebody by the wrong name", but I really think it ought to be something like "stop calling somebody something". pongbe': "don't call somebody some name". Also pongQo': "refuse to call somebody something".

'utlh qapongHa'choHpu' 'e' vIwIv. - I've chosen to stop calling you 'utlh.

rI'an'enpu'vaD romuluSnganpu' vIpongbe'. - I don't call Rihannsu "Romulans". [and perhaps never have]

qeylISqoqvamvaD voDleH vIpongQo'! - I refuse to call this so-called Kahless "Emperor"!

As for mistakenly calling somebody the wrong thing, that's just a special case of pong:

pIj bong ter'eSvaD te'reS vIpong. ngugh jIQagh. - I frequently mistakenly refer to ter'eS as te'reS. I make a mistake then.