[Tlhingan-hol] chIjwI' tIQ bom: {baQ} {DeH} je

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 23:37:07 PDT 2012

jIghItlhpu', jIjatlh:
> The English is ambiguous for number too ("with a goodly company"),...

mujang ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
> teH'a'? The adjective "goodly" has two meanings.

Even more than that; Merriam-Webster only gives two, but the OED has one more: "of
good quality, admirable, splendid, excellent". That's what my {mutlhejqangchugh nuv
QaQ} was aiming for.

I admit that OED gives the very line "To walk together to the kirk / With a goodly
company" as an exemplar of the "remarkably large or numerous" sense, but it still
can be read as the other sense so it may be misplaced. (Conversely, some of OED's
examples for "of good quality, admirable" can be read in both ways too: "The land
which sent forth such goodly stores", 				"The grounde after his long rest, will beare
goodly Corne".) I read "and all together pray" as really having to mean the Mariner
and the goodly company plus whatever worshippers may already be there. Otherwise it
implies that the "old men, and babes, and loving friends / and youths and maidens
gay" of the last part of the next verse must also be part of the goodly company,
rather than already being in the church and having the goodly company join them.
That's where I see the ambiguity in number.

QeS 'utlh