[Tlhingan-hol] chIjwI' tIQ bom: {baQ} {DeH} je

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 13:28:07 PDT 2012

QeS 'utlh:
> chIrgh leng wIlengtaHvIS maH tay'
> mutlhejqangchugh nuv QaQ,
> Dunqu'; jIHvaD lengvetlh 'ey DeH
> SawwI' 'uQ'a' 'ey baQ!
>
> O sweeter than the marriage-feast,
> 'Tis sweeter far to me,
> To walk together to the kirk
> With a goodly company!
>
> {maH tay'} lajlu' 'e' vISIv. 'ach vIlaj jIH'e' 'ej vIparHa'. {{:)

It may just be me, but I read {wIlengtaHvIS maH mutlhej nuv} as "a person
accompanies *us* while *we* travel", i.e., the {maH} excludes the
(additional) companion.  Even with {maH tay'}, I'm inclined to interpret
this as the speaker already being a part of a group, which is then
accompanied by an additional person.  Otherwise, the additional companion
would be {tlhej}ing him/herself, which doesn't quite work in my mind.

Also, why do you use {chIrgh leng} rather than just {chIrgh}?  IIRC (and I
may be wrong about this) {wI-} on {leng} indicates that the object is the
destination, so {chIrgh leng wIleng} would mean "we walk to the church
trip", where "church trip" is the destination.  Or do we have canon usage
of {leng} where the object is a path?  If you need a syllable there for
meter, maybe {chIrghDaq wIleng...} would work?