[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ruch

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 9 08:04:24 PDT 2012

Voragh:
>>> Klingon word:   ruch
>>> Part of speech: verb
>>> Definition:     proceed, go ahead, do it
>>
>> Used in canon:
>>
>> targhlIj yIngagh! yIruch!
>> Go mate with your targ! PK (punctuation added)
>>   [...]
>> Related verbs:
>> ta' 		accomplish, do
>> vang 		take action

A few more verbs:
Da 		act in the manner of
ta' 		accomplish, do
moj 		become

SuStel:
> I think the difference between {ruch} and {vang} is that {ruch} is used
> when an action is "loaded" and then "triggered" by the phrase, whereas
> {vang} just describes taking an action.

This sounds right.  I should have provided the examples of {vang}:

  bI'IQchugh yIvang
  If you are sad, act! TKW

  batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'
  One does not achieve honor while acting dishonorably. TKW

  Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh,
   pagh ghaH SuvwI''e'
  If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal,
   he is nothing. TKW

  vangDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' ngoy' qorDu'Daj; vangDI' qorDu'Daj
   ngoy' tlhIngan SuvwI'
  The family of a Klingon warrior is responsible for his actions,
   and he is responsible for theirs. TKW

  pevang!
  [untranslated (shouted by Gowron)] KCD

  nab Hutlh 'ach vang
  He/she lacks a plan, but he/she takes action.
  (i.e. He/she improvises) KGT

  loDnI'wI'
  bIQeHba'
  chaq batlh bIvangqa'laH
  My brother, I see your anger,
  You might have a chance
  To make amends.  (PB 101, paq'raD Canto 2)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons