[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HolQeD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 9 06:35:33 PDT 2012

>> Klingon word:   HolQeD
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition:     linguistics

AFAIK never used in a Klingon sentence by Okrand.

Lawrence M. Schoen:
> Aha! That one's mine. A pity you didn't save it for my birthday.

  "Actually, this IS canonical.  It is a backfit that Marc Okrand was kind enough to provide (I think in an interview), casually acknowledging that of course this compound meant 'language science, or linguistics.'  And, presumably it does open the door to geology and mathematics and many more." [Lawrence, (DATE?)]

  "... indeed the word {HolQeD} is an example of a made-up word (later canonized by Okrand and creating a precedent for naming other sciences)"  [Lawrence, 2/2004]

As indeed it has informally on the list.  But AFAIK Okrand has only coined or approved the following:

HuchQeD  		economics
nughQeD  		sociology
porghQeD  	the scientific study of bodily functions
Hov leng QeD 	Treknology (_Star Trek: Communicator_)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons