[Tlhingan-hol] qIHpu'ghach wa'DIch: 'ay' cha'

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Mon Jan 30 13:37:33 PST 2012

On 1/30/2012 4:27 PM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:

> Good point, Robyn and David; -'a' and -Hom tend to be used when
> something is so different from what the stem describes that the stem
> nearly becomes inaccurate (but not quite). Otherwise, as David
> suggest, one can use adjectives. Perhaps, then, a Borg Cube truly is
> a borgh ngogh'a', since it's not a brick or lump at all. [I still
> think the -'a' may be superfluous, though.]

First, let me admit that I haven't been following this translation.

I don't think {ngogh} is the right word at all. I guess that it refers
to a solid material, or at least a relatively homogeneous one. I don't
have all uses of it in front of me, so if there is something that
contradicts this, speak up. A Borg ship is a machine, not a brick. You
might say it "resembles a brick" (ngogh rur), but that's not its name.

They call it a "Borg cube" in reference to its
doesn't-look-like-a-spaceship shape. Lacking a known word for "cube,"
you lose the whole reason to call it a "Borg cube" at all. Best to leave
it as {borgh Duj}.

Note that the Borg sphere ship can be called a {borgh moQ} with no problem.

http://www.trimboli.name/