[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' chorgh

Gaerfindel gaerfindel at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 28 16:41:26 PST 2012

*jIghlthpu'. jIjatlh:**
*

    I tried recasting "nature abhors a vacuum." {tlheDDI' wa'DIch 'elnIS
    cha'DIch.}

*ghItlhpu' Robyn Stewart. jang:*

    I would cast further than that. I don't see that "nature abhors a
    vacuum" is especially relevant to Spock's nepotism here. He's just
    saying that he wants there to be a succession, and trying to
    encapsulate it in a pithy saying. I might go with Dal pagh jagh, but
    mataHmeH maSachnIS, and indeed many from TKW seem relevant here.

*ghItlh Felix Malmenbeck. jang:*

    ..If one is to go with Qov qech of recasting it to something more Klingon:y, then perhaps:

    yanwI' poQ yan - A sword needs a wielder.
    lo'laHbe' yanwI' Hutlhbogh yan'a' - A sword without a wielder is worthless
    pagh jagh HoH yan yanlu'be'bogh - A sword not wielded slays no foe
    HeghmoHlaHbe' yan yanchugh pagh - A sword cannot bring death if none wields it

    pagh jaH jonta' Hutlhbogh Duj'e' - A ship without an engine goes nowhere
    [I'd love to suggest HoD poQ Duj, but since the ship actually HAS a captain and that's not the position he's talking about, it seems rather inappropriate]

    yaS poQ yaH - A duty station needs an officer
    poQchuq yaH yaS je - A duty station and an officer need each other
    poQchuq yaS Qu' je - A mission and an officer need each other

    ...or the classic:
    'etlh QorghHa'lu'chugh ragh 'etlh nIvqu' 'ej jejHa'choH.
    "Even the best blade will rust and grow dull unless it is cared for."

    I'd love a good old Klingon truism, perhaps something like chIm HIq Hutlhbogh HIvje''e' {A glass without drink is empty}, or HIvje' chImvo' tlhutlhlaH pagh {Noone can drink from an empty glass}, or even pagh Soj SoplaH pagh {Nobody can eat no food} but that feels extremely un-Spock:y.

*jIjang:*

    chIm HIq Hulthbogh HIvje''e' muDuQ law' Hoch muDuQ puS.

**