[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' chorgh

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Jan 28 15:36:07 PST 2012

Accidentally sent my e-mail only to De'vID. Attached it below. Anyhow, here's a quick go at the whole scene:

[Supaq pa']

Supaq: majQa' vel'erIS. 'ampaSDaq DevwI'lI' jIHmo' ta'meylIj vInuD 'ej mubelmoH. 'ej vulqangan SoHmo' bIpo' 'e' vIpIH, 'ej bIpo'qu'.
[I'm actually very confused as to what Spock means by "And as a Vulcan, you have exceeded my expectations."]

vel'erIS: mIlloghvam vIyajbe'.
[I think nagh beQ may be more appropriate, but mIllogh stroke me as being more "Vulcan:y", just as "representation" is a very Vulcan:y way to refer to a painting. much could also be used.]

Supaq: tera' lalDan tIQ wanI' much. QI'tu' lumej net poQ.

vel'erIS: qatlh pa'lIjDaq Dapol?
[That leaves less room for chocolate!]

Supaq: Dor Hoch. 'e' vIqawmeH naDev vIpol.

vel'erIS: maja'chuq vIneH Dorbogh ghu' vIbuSmo'. qaH, yablI' jup ghaHmo' yabwI''e' qaghel, ghaytan DIvI' choH'a' qaSpu'bogh wanI''a'?

Supaq: reH chentaH 'u' San. ngoDvam DavoqnIS.

vel'erIS: jIyajbe'.

Supaq: QaQbej 'u' San.
[Really not very happy with this line; feels very... ...non-Spock:y.]

vel'erIS: 'e' Datu'bej'a' bImeqDI'? jImeqDI'...

Supaq: meq tu'DI' vay' valchoH, 'ach wej valchu'.
Qu'vam vIvanDI' Dujvam beq vImuvHa'.
Daq chIm lajQo' 'u'. choqa' 'e' vIHech.

vel'erIS: qaqa'meH qItbe'. qacho'laH neH.

'u'uwra' (ghogh HablI'): peqIm. Hoch yaS, SIbI' meH jaH.
Duj poSDaq tlhIngan may'Duj. Hoch yaS, SIbI' meH jaH.
[My attempt at Clipped Klingon.]

My previous message to De'vID:
____________________

Gonna give a few of those a try, just to get the conversation going:

"nature abhors a vacuum"
One's best bet may be to think of a different metaphor, but anyway:

'u'Daq chImchugh wa' Daq tebbejlI' 'u' - If an area is empty in the universe, the universe is definitely working on filling it
'u'Daq chenDI' paghna' chenHa'choHmoH 'u' - As soon as a true nothingness forms in the universe, the universe begins to deconstruct it

Daq chIm lajQo' 'u' - The universe rejects empty places
chImchu'bogh logh lajQo' 'u' - The universe rejects truly empty space
'u'Daq chImchu' vay' net chaw'be' - Nothing in the universe may be empty

Turning points in history:
In paq'batlh, one finds the phrase SaD law' San chenmoH qeylIS.
If destiny can be chenmoH:ed, then probably so can history.

qun luchenmoHbogh wanI''a'mey'e' - great events which have formed history
[choHbogh may also work, but I figure that in an era where time travel is possible, this may be misinterpreted]

So, the whole thing would be something like:

History is replete with turning points, Lieutenant. You must have faith.
la' pIj qaS qun luchenmoHbogh wanI''a'mey'e'. ngoDvam yIvoq.

Another alternative is:
reH chentaH San. ngoDvam yIvoq.
{Destiny is always forming. Have faith in this fact!}

"That the universe will unfold as it should."

Damn... That's tough.

chenchu'meH chenbejlI' 'u'. {The universe is definitely forming towards the goal of forming completely.}
...but I suppose Spock means "as it should" as in "in order to be preferable", so one might go with:

qaqmeH chenlI' 'u'. {The universe is taking form in order to be preferable.}
...though that does feel very weird.

QaQbej 'u' San. {The universe's destiny is definitely good.}
Highly illogical, but of course...

"logic is the beginning of wisdom"

meq tu'DI' vay' valchoH 'a wej valchu'. - When one discovers logic, one begins to be wise, but one is not yet perfectly wise.