[Tlhingan-hol] More new words from Maltz

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Jan 28 05:44:40 PST 2012

Here's maHvatlh's transcript of an article in HQ10:2 that mentions qung: http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=2001-06-holqed-10-2.txt&get=source

Can't find any mention of string instruments there, but I see that maHvatlh and qurgh have similar notes in their dictionaries (maHvatlh using wording almost identical to yours: http://klingonska.org/dict/?q=qung ).

One explanation may be that somebody originally wrote that comment for the sake of clarity, and other then copied it into their notes.

Anyhow, going by the examples Maltz has given us, it does seem likely that the soundhole of a stringed instrument would be a QemjIq, since its a hollow space with only one opening.

By the way, does anybody know some good English words for making this distinction?
"cavity" seems a good match for QemjIq, but I can't think of a good one for qung. If not, this may be the only case where Klingon is actually more useful than English in discussing geometry; perhaps I should recommend these terms to my professors :P