[Tlhingan-hol] More new words from Maltz

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 04:34:40 PST 2012

> (4) "hole" (like a hole in the ground) is QemjIq.  This can also be used
> for the hollow in a tree.  qung, the word for "hole in a musical
> instrument,"
> can't be used for a hole in the ground, but it could be used for a bullet
> hole or a hole in a shirt (including buttonholes, moth holes, accidental
> rips, etc.) or a hole in the roof.  You can fill (teb) a QemjIq, but not
> a qung.

In my notes for {qung}, I wrote that this refers to a hole used to
change pitch in a wind instrument, but apparently not to a soundhole
for a stringed instrument.  The note is annotated HQ 10.2, so I
presume that's where it comes from, but I don't have that issue any
more so I can't check.

In any case, does {QemjIq} work then for a soundhole of a stringed instrument?