[Tlhingan-hol] Newbie question about vIneHbogh construction

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Jan 25 05:15:18 PST 2012

SuStel's solution is very good, but I shall make an alternative suggestion that will probably make some people scream with horror:

vIleghmeH DochmeyvaD vIneHbogh 'eywI'mey vIpong.
"I call the things I want 'delivious things'"

vIta'meH Qu''e' poQbogh qeylIS vIpar.
"I don't like the mission that qeylIS demands I accomplish."

verengan Ha'DIbaH 'oH vISawmeH be''e' wIvbogh vavwI'.
"The woman father has chosen for me to marry is a Ferengi dog."

vISawmeH be' vIwIvbogh lajQo' SoSwI'.
"Mother rejects the woman I've chosen for marriage."

nuq Qub latlh? mu'tlheghmeyvam vIghItlhDI' jIpabHa'qu''a'?

In some of these cases, one could view the -meH as being either the purpose of a the first verb (Kahless requires a task for completion by me, but I don't like it) or the second (Kahless demands a mission; I don't enjoy the prospect of completing it), or even the noun (I dislike the mission-to-be-completed-by-me chosen by Kahless).
In the third sentence, however, it is quite specifically a "purpose noun", so perhaps it should be just <SawmeH be''e' wIvbogh vavwI'> ("the for-marriage-woman father has chosen"), not <vISawmeH be''e' wIvbogh vavwI'> ("the for-marriage-by-me-woman father has chosen"). One could perhaps also see it as modifying the first verb, but I'm not sure that's allowed in a sentence like this.

> vIghItlh quljIb.  jang:
> mu'tlhegh cha'DIch yajlaH law' mu'tlhegh wa'DIch wejDUch loSDIch je yajlaH puS.

yajlaH'a' mu'tlhegh?
qech DayajmeH SuStel mu'tlhegh cha'DIch qaq law' SuStel latlh mu'tlheghmey qaq puS.