[Tlhingan-hol] Newbie question about vIneHbogh construction

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Jan 24 15:04:13 PST 2012

On 1/24/2012 5:45 PM, Wiechu wrote:

> I wan to say in Klingon: "Things I want to see" or "Things which I want
> to see"
>
> I came with this: Dochmey vIlegh vIneHbogh.

This is very difficult to parse. "I see things" is that which I want.
That is, it looks like [Dochmey vIlegh] vIneHbogh, instead of Dochmey
vI[legh vIneH]bogh, which is what you want. Creepy.

Let's figure out a complete sentence. "I name things I want to see."

I would simply split this into two sentences or clauses.

Dochmeyvetlh vIlegh vIneH; vIpong.
I want to see those things; I name them.

Dochmeyvetlh vIlegh vIneH 'ej vIpong.
I want to see those things and I name them.

Dochmeyvetlh vIlegh vIneHchugh vIpong.
If I want to see those things, I name them.

Doch vIlegh vIneHchugh vIpong.
If I want to see a thing, I name it.

> She gave me another translation which does the job perfectly, that is:
> {Dochmey vIleghnISbogh}

Except it doesn't mean the same thing.

http://www.trimboli.name/