[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wejmaH wej: <qama' mIwmey>

Lieven Litaer lieven.litaer at web.de
Fri Jan 20 12:22:16 PST 2012

Am 20.01.2012 17:31, schrieb Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh:
> context of carpet-laying (a carpet or rug is said to {vel} the floor, so
> I guess a person {velmoH}s the rug)

No, the person uses the carpet to {vel} the floor.  I think you need to
say what you use to make it {vel}=cover something.
Thinking further, I think what covers the floor is what remains there...
Hm... if you {velmoH} the carpet, it sound like harry potter who is
cursing the carpet to fly around and then cover the floor.

rav vIvel jIH. 'oH vIvelmeH tlhIm vIlo'.
mInDu'lIj vIvel jIH. bIH vIvelmeH ghopwIj vIlo'.

FYI, here is the quote from MO:

One can say {rav vel tlhIm} ("the carpet covers the floor"). To to say
"lay a carpet," one says "use a carpet to cover the floor," or {rav
velmeH tlhIm lo}'.  The person who lays the carpet is a velwI'
(literally "coverer, coater, masker").

Lieven.