[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' loS

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 05:12:42 PST 2012

> De'vID:
> >> Dor ghu'vam'e' luDIllaHbe'bogh tlhInganpu'.
> >> boQDu': *Bill*, 'ejyo' wIpujqu'moH 'e' wIchup'a'?
>
> QeS 'utlh:
> > I don't think {wIpujqu'moH} is quite right. They're not talking about
> > weakening Starfleet - to me mothballing it implies putting it away more
> > or less completely, because it's become obsolete. Actually, what about
> > {wInotlhmoH}?

> De'vID:
>>> [...poD...]
>>  Maybe {notlhmo' ...} but I can't think of a word for "store, put in
storage".

Voragh:
> As for "store, put in storage" - consider {pol} "keep, save":
>
> nuqDaq yuch Dapol
> Where do you keep the chocolate? (TKD)
>
> vIpollaH pagh vIpolHa'laH
> I can either keep it or I can discard it. (KGT)
>
> Soj polmeH pa'
> food storage [i.e. a locker/compartment] KBoP
>
> polmeH jav QujwI' lIwmey
> 6 collectible tokens (MKE [Monopoly])
>
> The KBOP and MKE examples are apt.

I'd originally rejected {pol} because "keeping/saving" something because
it's obsolete sounded odd.  But by your examples, it looks like {pol} also
has the sense of "store".

{notlhmo' 'ejyo' wIpol 'e' wIchup'a'?}

Actually what does "mothballing" a fleet of ships really mean?  I guess the
reason I'm uncertain how to translate the Klingon is because I don't fully
understand the English.