[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' loS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 18 14:02:45 PST 2012

De'vID:
>> Dor ghu'vam'e' luDIllaHbe'bogh tlhInganpu'.
>> boQDu': *Bill*, 'ejyo' wIpujqu'moH 'e' wIchup'a'?

QeS 'utlh:
> I don't think {wIpujqu'moH} is quite right. They're not talking about
> weakening Starfleet - to me mothballing it implies putting it away more
> or less completely, because it's become obsolete. Actually, what about
> {wInotlhmoH}?

De'vID:
>> I'm not sure that {notlhmoH} has that meaning. {notlhmoH}
>> sounds like one is making something obsolete, for example,
>> making the Enterprise A obsolete by developing a faster/
>> more powerful starship, or making warfare obsolete by
>> rendering it uneconomical.  As you said, mothballing
>> something means it's already obsolete, so {notlhmoH}
>> doesn't apply.  Maybe {notlhmo' ...} but I can't think
>> of a word for "store, put in storage".

As for "store, put in storage" - consider {pol} "keep, save":

nuqDaq yuch Dapol
Where do you keep the chocolate? (TKD)

vIpollaH pagh vIpolHa'laH
I can either keep it or I can discard it. (KGT)

Soj polmeH pa'
food storage [i.e. a locker/compartment] KBoP

polmeH jav QujwI' lIwmey
6 collectible tokens (MKE [Monopoly])

The KBOP and MKE examples are apt.

--