[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh cha'maH cha': <QIptaH>

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:05:17 PST 2012

De'vID:
>> But does {Qay} even work for "transfer" in the sense of going from
>> serving on one ship to serving on another, or going from travelling on
>> one ship to travelling on another?  It seems like it means "transfer"
>> in the sense of "to move a substance from one place to another", based
>> on the two (admittedly not very conclusive) canon examples.

Qov:
> Moving a substance from container to container and moving a mang from
commander to commander are fundamentally different to you?  I might
question its use for boarding a different ship in the course of the same
journey, but think that transferring between posts matches the meaning if
anything does.

I'm not objecting to its use, and I'd understand it when it's used in that
way.  But in English, to "transfer" from one ship to another means more
than the merely physical act of leaving the first ship and boarding the
second; one is also "transferring" one's loyalty/service in a non-physical
way.  It's this non-physical meaning that I'm not sure {Qay} retains.
Also, the object seems to be the thing transferred; the subject does the
transferring (act of moving) the object.

Going by the {Hergh QaywI'} and {HoS QaymeH 'och} examples, I would say
that in physically moving a passenger from ship A to ship B, a shuttlecraft
{Qay}s (i.e., "transfers") that passenger.  But I wouldn't say "the
passenger has transferred *{Qay}ed from ship A to ship B" (either
physically, or in the sense of changing where they serve).  If someone said
it I'd understand what they meant, though.

Qov:
> What would you say instead?

If I had to describe someone "transferring" from one ship to another (in
the sense of serving on a different ship): {DujvetlhDaq toy'choH.}  Context
should make it unnecessary, but if I had to clarify: {DujvamDaq toy' 'e'
mev.}

To say that someone was physically transferred to another ship, there's
{jol}, {Qol}, {lup}, {qeng}, {lIgh}, etc., depending on their mode of
transportation.