[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' loS

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 05:52:09 PST 2012

Some very difficult lines in this part.

(CARTWRIGHT: nuq wISutlh?)
SPOCK: neHmaH HeH retlhDaq tengchaHmeymaj 'ejyo'waw'meymaj je DIlagh.
tlhoS qaStaHvIS SochmaH DIS, maSuvchuqrupqu' tlhInganpu' maH je.  Dor
ghu'vam'e' luDIllaHbe'bogh tlhInganpu'.
boQDu': *Bill*, 'ejyo' wIpujqu'moH 'e' wIchup'a'?
C in C: malengbejtaH[1] 'ej maQulbejtaH, HoD, 'ach...
CARTWRIGHT: jImorghnIS.  DIvI' logh qoDDaq wunHa'choH tlhInganpu' 'e'
wIchaw'chugh vaj maHoH'egh.  qIbDaq nov veQ lumoj tlhInganpu'.  'ej 'ejyo'
wIlaghchugh, yermaj DanDI' mut vaQ[2] maHub'eghlaHbe'.  tormoHmeH 'eb 'oH
'ebvam'e'.  ghIq mab wIqon 'e' wIpoQmeH HoSmaj QaQ law' HoSchaj QaQ puS.[3]
KIRK: qaH!
C in C: *qIrq* HoD?
KIRK: not tlhInganpu' voqlaH vay'.[4]  DoS'e' qIpbogh *Cartwright* 'aj
vIqIp[5] 'e' raDlu'.[6]  qechvam lajvIplu'.[7]

[1] - I'm surprised there's no word for "explore", considering "to explore
strange new worlds" and all that.
[2] - Can {vaQ} be applied to {mut}?
[3] - "Then we'll be in a far better position..."  Better than what?  I
don't know how to express a comparative in Klingon where the thing being
compared to isn't specified.  I've translated it as "we'll be in a better
position than the Klingons", but I think Cartwright really means "we'll be
in a better position than we are now".  I'd written {ghIq HoSmaj QaQ law'
DaH HoSmaj QaQ puS}, but can the adverbials {ghIq} and {DaH} be used in
this way?
[4] - Or should this be {reH tlhInganpu' voqlaH pagh}?  Of course, what I
really want is {-lu'} with {-laH}: {not tlhInganpu' *luvoqlaHlu'}.
[5] - The expressions we have for "I agree with him" all put all the
agreeing parties into the subject: {maQochbe' [ghaH jIH je]}, {wa' DoS
wIqIp [ghaH jIH je]}.  However, Kirk and Cartwright are not being forced to
agree with each other; only Kirk is being forced to agree with Cartwright.
{DoS'e' qIpbogh *Cartwright* 'aj vIqIp} "I hit the target hit by Admiral
Cartwright" -- does this work as an obvious extension of {wa' DoS wIqIp}
but with the emphasis put on Kirk's role?
[6] - {vIqIp 'e' raDlu'} "I am compelled to hit (it)"  I follow the example
of {Damuv 'e' wIvlu'} "You are chosen to join (it)" here.  Or would {vIqIp
net raD} be less controversial?
[7] - How to translate "terrifying"?  It's culturally taboo for Klingons to
express fear.  Of course, a Federation officer is saying this line, so
maybe he can get away with saying something a Klingon would never say.  Or
maybe I can use {ghIj} instead of {-vIp}: {qechvammo' ghIjqu'lu'}?  I like
{-vIp} because it's underused, compared to {ghIj}.