[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' cha'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 12 12:00:28 PST 2012

Qov:
>>> Be aware of the caution that switching from clipped to unclipped
>>> can be taken as an insult.

De'vID
>> Where is this caution stated?
>> I would've thought the insult would be to do it in the other
>> direction, i.e., switch from standard to clipped while talking
>> to a social equal.

Qov:
> KGT p. 174-175
> Just because it's used for giving orders doesn't mean that it's
> interpreted as an order.

KGT 174-75:  The role of context in determining whether to use Clipped Klingon is both crucial and subtle. For example, in the bar scenario mentioned above, to order an additional drink by saying {'Iw HIq yIqang!} ("Pour the bloodwine!") rather than simply {qang!} ("Pour!") carries no particular connotation. On the other hand, if the patron
had used the clipped form on one or more occasions and, for some reason, was displeased with the bartender's response, use of the longer form the next time would convey this annoyance, as if to say, "I will be very explicit so there is no misunderstanding this time: pour the bloodwine." Such a switch from Clipped Klingon to the fuller form is often interpreted as a challenge to one's honor, so it should not be done unless one is prepared to deal with the consequences.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons