[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wa'maH cha': <SuchwI' chaw'>

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 14:31:26 PST 2012

Qov:
>> Has nuq ever been used in canon as a destination?

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
> Yes, {nuq DaghoS, rIn} from the Morskan outpost in ST5. Scotty got
> "what is your destination" out of it. The captions make clear that it
> isn't a clipped {nuqDaq ghoS}.

Which captions?  I'll have to haul out my DVD to watch it again, but I
don't recall seeing {nuq DaghoS}, and I think I would've noticed since
it would've surprised me.

The movie transcripts were posted to this list some years ago (by
Voragh), I saved an offline copy of it, and also here is a link online
to that message:
http://diswww.mit.edu/charon.MIT.EDU/ja'chuq/85156

>From that post:
> Kesla:   nuqDaq ghoS?  rIn.
>         [nuq Daghoch?  rIn.    (ghunchu'wI': ghoch is "destination")]
>                  (What is your destination? Over.)
>                  <nookdak gros? reen.>                                   ("dialect" as heard)
>                  [nugDaq ghoS? rIn.]                               (captions)
>                  {"Whither are you bound?" (responding in the same dialect)}

According to the above, the captions say {nuqDaq ghoS}.  This is what
I recall as well, but I'm not completely sure.  (I actually rewatched
this movie only a few days ago, but I wasn't paying close attention.)
Is the above information incorrect, or is there a version with
different captions?