[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wa'maH vagh

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 13:30:54 PST 2012

De'vID:
>> VALERIS: HoD, maHvaD qabchaj 'angmeH tlhe'lI'.

Qov:
> I had a moment of confusion there that it was the ship turning. Would you
accept {tlhe'lI' Duj} or {'etchaj 'angmeH}?

HIja'.  tlhe'lI' Duj.

De'vID:
>> SPOCK: baHrupchoH chaH.

Qov:
> Did you consider {ghuS chaH}. I just like that we have a verb that means
baHrup. Or is the subject of ghuS the chetvI'?  Even so, it would make
sense.

Oooh... ghobe', vIqelpu'be'.  qaq.

De'vID:
>> CHEKOV: 'ej botjanmaj chu'be'lu'...

Qov:
> Are botjan a countable item? I are there 'et botjan, nIH botjan, 'o'
botjan je?  I would have thought so. This would be {botjan lu'chu'lu'be'}
for me.

maj.  "Shields up" 'oH, "shield up" neH 'oHbe'.  vIlaj.

De'vID:
>> KIRK: vItIj.  *Spock*, Duj yIra'taH.

Qov:
> I would have used yIra'choH, because Kirk has it and he's transferring
control, right? Or did Spock already have it? (My guys say {meH DaSeH} for
an alternate, but I don't think one is better than the other for a term I
literally don't know the meaning of in English. What's the conn?  Is it the
same as a conning tower?

*Spock*vaD Duj SeHmeH DIb nob qIrq.  QaQ {Duj yIra'choH}.

pIm'a' muD Duj tlhach Hol, bIQ Duj tlhach Hol?  "Conning tower" mung 'oH
"conn"'e', "conn"-meH chalqach 'oS.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conning_tower

De'vID:
>> KIRK: ghobe', jIghoS.  ghu'wIj cholel 'e' Dangoy'.

Qov:
> This one gave me pause until I translated it, and even then I'm not sure.
What function is ghu'wIj serving in the sentence? It's not a location, so
it must be a prefix trick thing, but "You are responsible that you get me
out my situation," doesn't map properly to you are responsible for getting
me out of my situation" for me. Maybe {ghu'vam vIyongHa' 'e' Dangoy'} or
{ghu'vam choyongHa'moH 'e' Dangoy'}.

"get out, take out" 'oS lel.  *{jIHvaD ghu'wIj Dalel} 'e' vIHech 'ach
ghaytan lughbe'.

{chotoD 'e' Dangoy'} chay' 'e' Dachov?  nap.

De'vID:
>> McCOY: jIghoS je jIH.  ghaytan Qel poQ.

Qov:
> Qel lupoQ.

bIlugh, {lupoQ} vIlo'.

De'vID:
>> SPOCK: chaq bIlugh.
>> KIRK: *Uhura*, tIja': maghoS.  'ej tIja': nuH wIghajbe'qu'!

Qov:
> I'd reccommend qeng over ghaj--more specific always better and it
clarifies that it's the boarders not the ship that have none.

> I'd use maghoSlI' (even though it always makes me think of Glen Proschel,
free hat to anyone who can figure out and admit why) or maybe wItIjlI'.

maj.  {qeng} qaq law' {ghaj} qaq puS.

mIv'e' jISaHbe' 'ach qatlh nuvvam DuqawmoH?