[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wa'maH wej

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 24 06:21:13 PST 2012

De’vID:
>  SPOCK: We have fired on the Chancellor's ship.
>  SPOCK: Qang DujDaq wIbaH. [2]

Correct, though I would add a perfective suffix since it refers to a completed act.  Chang said a version of this line during Kirk’s trial later in the movie:

  Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' 'entepray'
"Enterprise fired on Kronos One..." (ST6)

> [2] - Someone remind me, is this how {-Daq} works with {baH}?  Or does
> {X-Daq baH} mean "fire while located on X"?

No.  {-Daq} marks the target, i.e. what you’re firing or shooting at:

  Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' 'entepray'
"Enterprise fired on Kronos One..." (ST6)

  logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'
  Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. (ST5 notes)

If stated, the object of {baH} is what is fired (i.e. a torpedo, rocket, missile):

  cha yIbaH qara'DI'
  qara'DI' cha yIbaH
  Fire the torpedoes at my command. TKD

Ditto for {bach}:

KGT 56:  The verb used for “shoot” when referring to disruptors is {bach}. Technically speaking, one shoots the energy beam from the disruptor. The general word for any energy beam (ray) is {tIH}, so a disruptor's beam is {nISwI' tIH}. Thus, the correct formation is {nISwI' tIH bach} (“shoot the disruptor beam”).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons