[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'epIl naHmey

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Sat Feb 4 09:59:03 PST 2012

On 2/4/2012 12:28 PM, Gaerfindel wrote:
> On 2/4/2012 10:01 AM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
>> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, February 04, 2012
>>
>> Klingon word: 'epIl naHmey
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition: apples
>>
> That literally reads "apple's fruits" or "fruits of the apple." I
> conjecture then that {'epIl} refers to the tree itself, then?

No, the noun-noun construction is more than just possessive; it's
genitive. The first noun specifies the kind of second noun.

For example, in KGT we get {baS 'In} "metal drum." It doesn't mean
"metal's drum" or "drum belonging to metal."

Literally, the phrase means "apple fruits," "that kind of fruit known as
apples."

> That would make {'epIl Hap} "applewood" and {'epIl HIq} "(hard) cider."

It's {'epIl naH} for the same reason we say "Romulan ale" instead of
whatever the Romulans call it. If Klingons were translating these ideas,
I'd imagine they'd come up with {'epIl Sor Hap} and {'epIl Sor HIq}.

> I suppose applesauce would come out {tapbogh 'epIl naHmey}.

That would be "apples that mash." I suggest {'epIl naH lutaplu'pu'bogh}
"apples that have been mashed."

> mubel 'epIl naHmey wIb 'ej mubelqu' 'epIl HIq wIq! HIvje'mey yIjuS!

'utbe' bel. Klingons do not describe tastes in terms of pleasure, but
rather in terms of how they affect them, and it may be metaphorical (see
KGT). For instance, {muDuQ 'epIl naHmey} "apples stab me."

What is {wIq}? Is that a new word? I haven't been paying close attention
to the new ones.

{juS} means "overtake," not "pass (something to someone)." You want
{nob} "give." But when using this verb you'll want a dative object. You
can either say {jIHvaD HIvje' tInob} "give the cups to me!" or, using
the prefix trick, {HIvje'mey HInob} "give me the cups!"

http://www.trimboli.name/