[Tlhingan-hol] wutlh Ha'DIbaH jaj

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Feb 3 08:16:33 PST 2012

SepwIj luDabbe' Ha'DIbaHvam. QeHbe' Qunpu' 'e' wItul neH.

> "It's not snowing here," seems more like {naDev peDbe'}; a simple
> statement of fact..  My situation is {naDev peDbe'taHqu'}, "It
> *continues* to not snow here!" (Despite is being [allegedly] winter.)

While I often see -taH being used to mean "continue to do something", and I believe even Marc has done this once or twice, it's worth mentioning that -taH originally referred to continuity, not continuation (that is, wa'leS peDtaH means "tomorrow it will be snowing", not "tomorrow the snowing will continue from the day before").
Consider {naDev peDchoHbe'qu'} or {naDev wej peDchoHmo' vImerlu'}.

That being said, it's not unfeasible that Klingons also see in the suffix -taH an indication of continuation, as the word {taH} means "to endure", "to survive" or "to continue".

>> pawpu' poH tujchoH jajmey.
>This is difficult to parse, although I know what you mean. I might say

I'm guessing the idea was to use tujchoH as an adjective:ish word, thus making this "the days of the warming season (Spring) have arrived". However, as far as I can tell, the only suffix that you can always add to a stative verb without losing its adjective:ish properties is -qu', and almost always (or always always?) -Ha', and usually -be'. If you want other suffixes, you usually need a -bogh.

I'm also skeptical towards using paw to refer to periods of time. While one could regard a season as an event, and events seem to be okay as locations (consider may'meyDajvo' Haw'be' tlhIngan and may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'), it seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
Recall that in Klingon, -Daq and -vo' refer only to spatial relations, not more abstract concepts (such as "in Klingon" or "in love and war"), and not to points in time (such as "QISmaS jaj vaghDIchDaq jIHvaD nob ngeH bangna'wI': VAAAAAAAGH QEEEEEEEBMEEEEY WAAAAAGH!"*). It does not seem unlikely that this would extend also to verbs describing spatial changes; a jaj does not paw, nor does it mej, nor is it ever Sum or Hop (except perhaps in poetry).

*jIQoS. tlhoy jItlhu'.