[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: moq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 21 07:35:44 PST 2012

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, December 21, 2012
>
> Klingon word:   moq
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     beat (something with an implement)

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

KGT 74f.:  The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}. [...] Other members of this group of instruments are hit with a stick of some kind. The stick often resembles a small hammer; when it does, it is termed {mupwI'Hom} (literally, "small striker"). A plain stick is a {naQHom} (literally, "small cane" or "small staff"). To strike the instrument with a stick is to {moq} ("beat") the instrument.

KGT 69:  When the parties are ready, a third party, sort of a referee, says {moq}, the signal to begin. The verb {moq} literally means "beat" and it is a clipped form of, perhaps, {vImoq} ("I beat it") or even {vImoqpu'} ("I have beaten it"). In times past, one would hit something (such as a drum) with a stick to indicate the start of the duel; today, one simply says the word "beat".

Related words:

qIp 		hit (with hand, fist, implement) (v)

tlhaw' 	hit [percussion instrument] with fist (v)
weq 		hit [percussion instrument] with palm (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons