[Tlhingan-hol] birds (was Re: Klingon Bird-of-Prey Haynes Manual)

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 13:40:20 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> I compiled a quick list of known birds {bo'Deghmey}:  borghel, cha'bIp, cha'Do', cha'naS, cha'par, cha'qu', *cherwItlh, Da'nal, Da'vI', lIr, lotlhmoq, notqa', parbIng, qanraD, qaryoq, qaryoq'a', qa'rol, ramjep, toQ, vem'eq, vIlInHoD, yatqap and possibly {qISa'ruj}.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that a few of these were birds of prey as well.

*{cherwItlh} - I've never heard of this, where is it from?

I know the origins (puns, jokes, etc.) behind these bird words:
{bo'Degh} - bird, general term (Bodega Bay)
{cha'bIp} - Road Runner (beep beep)
{cha'Do'} - dodo
{cha'qu'} - cuckoo
{Da'nal} - Donald Duck
{Da'vI'} - Daffy Duck
{lIr} - owl (Edward Lear)
{notqa'} - raven (nevermore)
{parbIng} - under par, birdie (golf)
{qanraD} - Conrad Birdie
{qaryoq}, {qaryoq'a'} - Karaoke
{qa'rol} - Big Bird (Caroll Spinney)
{qISa'ruj} - raptor (Jurassic) (possibly not a bird)
{ramjep} - midnight bird (no known pun, just the word for midnight)
{toQ} - bird of prey (no known pun, back derived from {toQDuj})
{vem'eq} - early bird (wakes up early, gets the worm)
{vIlInHoD} - parrot (Cap'n Flint)
{'uSgheb} - leghorn chicken

Does anyone know the puns behind these ones?
{borghel} - a very small bird whose eggs are tasty
{cha'naS} - a small bird which digs up bugs to eat
{cha'par} - a bird notes for its song
{lotlhmoq} - a bird that swoops into the water in order to catch food,
but cannot swim
{raw'} - an aquatic bird with colourful plumage
{yatqap} - a grey (sometimes white) bird that can travel particularly
long distances without pausing

I suspect, since so many of the bird names are puns, jokes, or
references, that in fact all of them are.