[Tlhingan-hol] West Wing

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Dec 15 02:55:55 PST 2012

> I'd walk away from a literal translation and call it 'amerIqa' Qang yaH or the like.

Makes a lot of sense to me. In Swedish, the TV show is officially called "Vita huset" ("The White House"), presumably because the network figured everybody would get that association, while fewer would get the West Wing association.
Klingons would likely understand the reference even less well (well, except for Klingon-Americans); they probably wouldn't even understand what was meant by {qach chIS}.
In paq'batlh, there's a reference to {molor HoS waw'}, meaning something like "Molor's seat of power". Something like that may make sense. In German, the show is called "The West Wing - In Zentrum der Macht" ("The West Wing - In the center of power"), so perhaps {*The West Wing* - 'amerIqa' HoS waw'} would make sense.

However, if you wanted to explain to a Klingon what the show's name meant, I suppose {tIng 'ev qach 'ay'} or the like would work (but then, of course, you'd still have to explain what makes the northwest-southwest building part so significant).