[Tlhingan-hol] ramDaq jIQongbe’

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 10:37:35 PST 2012

De'vID:
>> The difference between {ram...} and {qaStaHvIS ram...} is that the
>> first is "at night", while the second is "during the night, throughout
>> the night".

QeS 'utlh:
> I wouldn't quite go so far as "throughout the night", which really implies
> {(qaStaHvIS) ram Hoch} or {(qaStaHvIS) ram naQ}. To be honest I've got my
> doubts that there is a useful functional difference between {ram} as a
> time-stamp and {qaStaHvIS ram}.

qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.
(This describes what may be accomplished while one night occurs, i.e.,
in the duration of one night.)

wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
One night, a running man may cut four thousand throats.
(This merely states when the action happens, i.e., one night, any night.)

qaStaHvIS wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH vav
quvHa'ghach.
The dishonor of the father dishonors his sons and their sons for three
generations.
(The dishonor spans three generations.)

wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH vav quvHa'ghach.
In three generations, the dishonor of the father dishonors his sons
and their sons.
(This sounds like the dishonor doesn't kick in until the third generation.)

I think the difference between a timestamp X and a "while clause"
{qaStaHvIS X...} is that the timestamp says that the event happens
exactly at time X, whereas {qaStaHvIS X...} says it is happening over
the duration of X.

{ram jIQonglaHbe'} "I cannot sleep at night time."
{qaStaHvIS ram jIQonglaHbe'} "I cannot sleep during the night."

There is a functional difference between {ram} and {qaStaHvIS ram},
which is the same as that between "at night" and "during the night".
As for whether that functional difference is useful, that depends on
your context.