[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HI'tuy

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Thu Dec 13 05:24:49 PST 2012

jaSwa':
> if it is augmenting the power one has and uses, "tyrant" works because a just ruler would have> less power in concept because one's ethical code prevents certain powers from being used in> certain ways (even though one's position allows it by definition), while a tyrant would in theory> have more power since he or she has no such limitation. The more I think about it, the more I> think "tyrant" might fit pretty well for HI''a'.
This may be my favorite explanation yet.  A <HI'> uses his absolute power to run the country.  A <HI''a'> uses his absolute power to go a step further and control the people.  Since dictators almost always need to exert some amount of control over their objectors, whether a leader gets called <HI'> or <HI''a'> may depend on the perspective of the individual applying the label.  In this way it seems to very closely mirror the English terms "dictator" and "tyrant".
janSIy