[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: waQ

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 02:53:35 PST 2012

>>>jatlhpu' quljIb:
>>>
>>>...{waQ} is used when there is an inanimate obstruction {lojmIt waQ Sor HoHpu'}, while {bot} is used when there is an animate object *actively* involved {lojmIt bot mIl'oD}.
>>>
>>>The canon seems to support the idea that {bot} means an active impediment.  Especially the first three examples.

{Sor Hegh}, {Sor HoHlu'pu'bogh} ghap yIlo'.

Voragh:
>>>I should have said:  What's the difference between {waQ} and {bot} *in Klingon usage*.  As we have no examples of the former, this cannot be answered at the present time.  Interestingly, the word {le'mIS} "blockade" used in Klingon Monopoly is unrelated to either word:
>>>
>>>  DIvI' le'mISvo' bInargh.
>>>  Escape Federation blockade. MKE
>>>
>>>(Hmm... I sense another pun.  Something from "Les Mis" perhaps?)

bIlughbej.  Les Mis lut qellu'taHvIS le'mIS tu'lu'.

jaSwa':
>>If that's the case, then I guess the Black Hills are being somewhat anthropomorphized in that example?
> Sorry, I meant Kristak the volcano.

ghobe'.  I think {bot} implies an impediment to movement or action,
but that doesn't mean the thing doing the preventing is itself alive
or active.

We don't have examples of {waQ} in canon, but I would guess the
distinction is that {waQ} could always be used for things like sight,
hearing, etc., whereas {bot} would only be used in those cases if the
agent was active or intentional.

{ngeng wIghoSlaHbe' nubotmo' HuD}
{ngeng wIleghlaHbe' nuwaQmo' HuD}

'ach jIloy neH.