[Tlhingan-hol] Hov veSmey

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 4 06:31:40 PST 2012

quljIb:
>>We have words for "brother" {loDnI'} and "sister" {be'nI'} but not
>>"(identical) twin."  Since they mirror each other in appearance--and
>>not unoften, behaviour--I thought {SIla' loDnI'} might be a workable
>>(if imperfect) circumlocution for twin (brother).  It's as close as
>>I could come to "clone" without specific vocabulary.

Felix:
> As for clone...
> Yeah, that's a difficult one. {puq nIb} would make some sense.
> I might also think of a clone as some sort of {nuv velqa''a'}: A
> "greater replica of a person".
> So, maybe {velqa''a' noH} could refer to the Clone Wars?

Do we really need {-'a'}?  (IIRC the clone troops weren't all that special, being pretty much expendible canon fodder.)  I think sometimes we go overboard with adding suffixes to express fine shades of (English) meaning.  What's wrong with just {velqa'} "replica"?  We don't know how broadly the work can be used as our sole example comes from Monopoly:

  Qang naQ velqa'
  Chancellor's cane replica MKE

If you want to make clear you're talking about people, you can make it plural -  *{velqa'pu' noH} the "Clones War" - and use the sentient pronouns {ghaH} and {chaH} to refer to them.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons