[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'o'lav

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 31 06:49:02 PDT 2012

> >> Klingon word:   'o'lav
> >> Part of speech: noun
> >> Definition:     type of drum

 Voragh:
>> A {DIr 'In} usually has the skin stretched only over one end. A type
>> of drum with skin stretched over both ends is called a {'o'lav}.

De'vID:
> Are there any (famous) drummers with the name Olaf/Olaff/Olav?
> Especially one who plays a drum with skin on both ends?

I did a quick Google search for "St. Olaf drum" and discovered that St. Olaf College has a Taiko drumming group.  I don't know how well known they are - did Okrand ever see a performance? - but these drums do have "skin stretched over both ends":

Their official web site:
http://www.stolaf.edu/orgs/taiko/

Here are a couple of many online videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taoF1TRrWhM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eshtv4tPdRk

--
Voragh