[Tlhingan-hol] (no subject)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Aug 27 13:40:11 PDT 2012

qaqIHpu'mo' jIbel, Lisa :)

Looking at that list:

Pages: In the Facebook translation, there was much talk of whether to refer to pages as Daqmey, muchmey, navmey, etc.
Which is most appropriate will probably vary from setting to setting (I think muchmey or Daqmey may be appropriate here), but for the record, here's what we decided on there:

homepage = juH nav
page = nav
Page = Dol nav [this refers to the Facebook feature called "Pages", rather than pages in general]
webpage = 'Internet nav
website = 'Internet Daq

Images:
Will probably vary depending on taste, but I think <naghmey beQ> would do fine here. Some would probably prefer <mIlloghmey>, though: http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=2010-12-25-email.txt&get=source

Races and beings:
<Segh Dep je> - Races and [nonhumanoid] beings
<mut Dep je> - Species and [nonhumanoid] beings

As for the naming of species and races:
Many of these don't have canonical Klingon names, so many would probably favor leaving them in English.
My thoughts on the individual examples can be found below.

Bajorans:
There's no canon to go off of, but because Klingons probably first learned of Bajorans via the Federation, I expect the likely refer to the planet either as *beyjor or *ba'jor, and the people as *beyjorngan or *ba'jorngan.

Betazoid:

Breen:
No canon to go by.
Some Trek novels claim "Breen" is not the name of a single species, but one encompassing all of races in the Breen Confederacy.
We've only heard the Breen talk through weird helmets, and their voices come out like static, so we don't really know how they pronounce it. So, it may be wise to simply leave it in English. Otherwise, you'll probably have to do some sort of phonetic approximation, such as *berIn.

Borg:
It seems likely the Klingons first learned of the Borg via the Federation, in which case they might perhaps be called *borgh or *bor'Iq or something.
I personally like to refer to them as *janyIn, as a pun on <jan> and <jatyIn>.
No canon to go by, though.

Cardassian:
<qarDaSngan> is canon.

Dominion:
Called <ngup'a'>, literally meaning something like "the great cape", or - in slang terms - "the great political power".

Ferengi:
<verengan> is canon.

Klingon:
tlhIngan maH!

Krenim:
If the Klingons have even heard of the Krenim, it'd probably be through the Federation. Don't know if they'd be called *Qe'nIm or *Qe'nImngan or what; might be best to just leave as "Krenim".

Q:
No canon to go by; perhaps best to just leave as "Q".

Romulans:
<romuluSngan> is canon.
According to KGT, this name was inspired by the word Humans use for Romulans, saying name Romulans have for themselves is "something quite distinct". This may be a reference to the Rihannsu series of novels (and others inspired by it), in which Romulus is referred to as "ch'Rihan", and the people are referred to as "Rihannsu".

Tamarian:
No canon to go by.
They are also referred to as "the children of Tamar", and I seem to recall that "Tamar" is pronounced roughly *temar, so maybe *temar puqpu'. Or just leave it in "English".

Tribble:
<yIH> is canon.

Vulcan:
<vulqangan> is canon.