[Tlhingan-hol] qul tuq.

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Aug 10 12:38:05 PDT 2012

qul tuq! Can it be you have never heard the opera that tells the tale of our family's house!?

Anyhow, yesterday I was looking through some "Star Trek: Klingon" videos, and I realized that I'd never actually heard the segment where they sing some lines from qul tuq, and it's not written down anywhere (as far as I know).

I'll post what I think it sounds like below, but perhaps you want to listen to it for yourselves before I contaminate your minds with my thoughts:
http://youtu.be/ljmey6wsmJQ?t=1m

The transcript in klingonska.org's canon archive reads:

Uuaaooo ma-kool aaaooo ma-sar reshuv tak yak bo ej gogh bow
ghotpu'.

It's hard to make out, but I think this is what Marc Okrand might have actually written:

'o meQ qul!
'o meQ chal!
reH SuvtaH jaqbogh 'ej yoHbogh(?) ghotpu'.

So:
Oh, the fire burns!
Oh, the sky burns!
The brave and bold people are always fighting.

I find <meQ qul> interesting. I've always wondered if one can say <meQ qul>. My thinking has been that one probably can, but I've been skeptical because the fire is not itself "on fire".

Of course, maybe Qua'lon has been watching too much American TV, and he's really singing <'o, ma-cool!> ;)