[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dol

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 03:55:58 PDT 2012

jatlhpu' Qov:
> I wish Marc would talk more about the process of creating that first word
> list for TKD.

jang Quvar, jatlh:
> Well, he told me - and probably to others - that he had the scripts of all
> episodes and movies so far that used Klingons. He did not watch the episodes
> to create TKD, by the way.

jang je Qov, jatlh:
> That's talking some. I'm asking for more. Did he compile the list of words
> he wanted and then make up dozens of words that fit his morphology and
> assign them willy-nilly, unless he had a pun in mind?  Is there some
> association for him in every single word? I'm curious.

jatlh De'vID:
> There were a few word pairs in the original word list which were the
> reverse of something related: {pogh}-{ghop}, {lom}-{mol}.  But since
> the morphology of Klingon is so restricted, there were probably a few
> such apparent pairs which are only related by coincidence.

I'm not so sure. I've been keeping a list of apparently related pairs for some years, and the list has long since got too big for me to think it's just coincidence. In fact, I'm wondering if Marc didn't have a much more complex grand plan for the original lexicon than we'd thought. There are a lot of semantically similar pairs that share either initial CV-, final -VC, or C-C frameworks; here are some of the best examples from my spreadsheet.

CV- initials:
bach/baH; chen/cher; chuH/chuq; Daj/Dal (and potentially Da); ghoj/ghov; jatlh/jach/jaw/jat/jang/ja'; -moH/-mo'; muj/mul/muS/mut; ngagh/nga'(chuq); ngeH/ngev/nge'; po/poH/pov; poch/por; pom/poQ; qem/qeng; qun/qup; Qap/QaQ/Qat; QID/QIH; Qoch/Qo'; Qoj/Qor; Qong/Qop/Qot; Sab/Sang; Sach/Sal; Soj/Sop; 'agh/'ang; 'a/'ach

(The paq'batlh shows that no' Hol was more tolerant of V-final syllables, so I wonder if many of these might be historical compounds of the form CV-CV.)

-VC finals:
batlh/matlh; rav/yav; pem/vem; leng/qeng; mev/yev; nIv/QIv; jon/von; ghov/Sov; Doy'/Soy'; joy'/'oy'; no'/ngo'; luj/muj/puj; nIv/QIv;

C-C frames (these ones aren't so certain):
che'/cho'; leH/loH; raQ/ruQ; qan/qun
If the CV-CV compounding idea is true, then maybe also Hegh/HoH and pem/po.

QeS