[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dol

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 00:55:00 PDT 2012

Qov:
>>> I wish Marc would talk more about the process of creating that first word
>>> list for TKD.

Quvar:
>> Well, he told me - and probably to others - that he had the scripts of all
>> episodes and movies so far that used Klingons. He did not watch the episodes
>> to create TKD, by the way.

Qov:
> That's talking some. I'm asking for more. Did he compile the list of words
> he wanted and then make up dozens of words that fit his morphology and
> assign them willy-nilly, unless he had a pun in mind?  Is there some
> association for him in every single word? I'm curious.

There were a few word pairs in the original word list which were the
reverse of something related: {pogh}-{ghop}, {lom}-{mol}.  But since
the morphology of Klingon is so restricted, there were probably a few
such apparent pairs which are only related by coincidence.

However, it does make me wonder if MO thinks Klingons would associate
"man" {loD} with being part of an "entity" or "(greater) whole" {Dol},
and "woman" {be'} with "opportunity, chance, opening" {'eb}.  It does
sort of go with the hypermasculine militaristic culture of serving a
greater cause while seizing what you desire.  But then again it may
just be a coincidence and I'm reading too much meaning into the tea
leaves.