[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dol

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:43:32 PDT 2012

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> An entity is a thing or a being, and while there are contexts in which
> the entirety of something is an entity, they are quite different words.

jang loghaD, jatlh:
> I'd like to point out that Marc, as far as I know, hasn't quite said that
> {Dol} means "whole"; he's simply used that word to translate {Dol} in
> that particular instance. One could also read it as "We succeed together
> as a greater entity.", but it doesn't sound quite as good (at least to my
> ears).

Weirdly, an extremely literal translation communicates the meaning better for me:

wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap.
When we are together in one superior entity, we succeed.

I really don't see any reason to suspect Marc mis-applied "entity" here. The Merriam-Webster dictionary also gives as definition number 3 for "entity": "an organization (as a business or governmental unit) that has an identity separate from those of its members". That's *exactly* what is being communicated here. When people are together, and form an organised group, the group as a whole - the entity, the Gestalt, the Dol - succeeds where the members of that group may not do so individually.

QeS 'utlh