[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ne'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 8 07:33:48 PDT 2012

>> Klingon word: ne'
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition: yeoman [for those unfamiliar with the term, the Concise
>>             Oxford Dictionary defines yeoman as petty of

AFAIK never used in canon.

De'vID:
> Petty of what?!  We're waiting!
>
> (I know it's supposed to say "petty officer"... but it looks like
> whatever software you're using to send the KWOTD has a length limit
> that's cutting some entries off.)

Defined on the Star Trek: Continuum Klingon Compendium area ("Klingon Linguistic Studies") as:

  "a petty officer having chiefly clerical duties"

and at Memory Alpha:

  Yeoman was a Starfleet title with administrative and clerical
  duties. Starfleet used different rates of yeoman including
  "yeoman third class" as seen with Tina Lawton. (TOS: "Charlie
  X") Some yeoman, such as Janice Rand, were enlisted personnel
  during their time in this position. However, a yeoman could
  hold the rank of an officer, as seen with Martha Landon (TOS:
  "The Apple") and an unnamed yeoman assigned to the USS
  Enterprise-A, who wore an officer's uniform with the rank of
  lieutenant junior grade. (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
  [http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Yeoman ]

IIRC Gen. Martok had an elderly male civilian aide (on the Rotarran?) who seemed to perform the administrative duties of a yeoman.  Anyone remember his name or what he was called in the episode (DS9 "Way of the Warrior" perhaps)?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons