[Tlhingan-hol] Ha'DIbaH pong chu': la'SIv

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Aug 5 02:49:31 PDT 2012

Yeah, I know, I was being a bit naughty with that translation, but I figured as long as I was replacing the actual animal with one from a different planet (and a hare with a targ), I might take that extra liberty ;)

> Wikipedia tells me, however, that perhaps American English uses
> "turtle" as a catch-all for sea-turtles, tortoises, and terrapins, so
> perhaps {la'SIv} is equally broad as well:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle#Turtle.2C_tortoise.2C_or_terrapin

Swedish is similarly broad: We call them all "sköldpaddor" (literally "shield toads"; compare with German "Schildkröte"). Tortoises are "landsköldpaddor", sea turtles are "havssköldpaddor", teenage mutant ninja turtles are "tonårsmutantninjasköldpaddor", and so forth.