[Tlhingan-hol] Bad Klingon in Trek novels (and the like)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Aug 5 01:38:27 PDT 2012

Aye, I've seen it ... and it is rather unfortunate that due to this, even the exact sentence "The Bible has been translated into Klingon, the alien language used in Star Trek." gets 2080 hits on Google (and it's also out there in numeorus other forms).

However, in Joel's defense, he is a serious klingonist ( http://mrklingo.freeshell.org/aol/JPKlingon/trans.html ), and he's always very upfront about his MrKlingon translations:

>From the Amazon page: "[...] actually a relexification of the World English Bible [...] it is not a grammatical Klingon text (actually it is more of a pidgin-Klingon, mixing English vocabulary and grammar with Klingon)"

>From the KLV website: "The UTA project uses a pretty simpleminded translation process [...] It is useful for for entertainment value, not linguistic purity. [...] Since the translation table used is rigid (one English word to one Klingon word) there are often laughable confusions."

>From MrKlingon: http://mrklingo.freeshell.org/aol/jpklingon/uta/theory.html#wrong ("The UTA program does not - CANNOT translate.")

So, it definitely is a significant example of bad Klingon, and I'll agree it's a bit annoying when it's taken as a proper translation; I wouldn't call it an insult, but I can see where that remark is coming from.
However, he is very honest about it, so I would advise you against hating him; criticize the project all you want, but the man behind it seems like a perfectly nice individual and a good klingonist.

[I should point out that the author of "Star Trek: Cast No Shadow" is probably a perfectly nice person, too ... but not a very good klingonist ;) ]