[Tlhingan-hol] voDleH Qun je

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 25 12:41:06 PDT 2012

Voragh:
>> The new {paq'batlh} shows us that a pregnant woman does {qeng}
>> a child.  [Lieven, 11/02/2011]
>>
>> I only have {puq qeng} "carry a child" (of a pregnant woman)
>> PB 184-185) listed.  (Can anyone supply us the full verse?)
>> This is carry the child in her womb while pregnant, presumably.
>> "Bear, give birth to" might be *{boghmoH}.

Felix:
> Here's that stanza [...]:

Thanks, Felix.

> yatlh luqara' puqloD wa'DIch qenglI'
> Qu'Daj yajchu' ghaH
> qeylISvaD ma'veq nob
>
> Lukara, pregnant of their first-born son,
> Understood what had to be done,
> And gave him the *mevak*.

No question that {puqloD qenglI'} means "bearing a son".  (Also, nice use of [-lI'} "in progress" there!)  Without an explicit {yatlh}, it might have been understood that she was carrying {qeng} the child in her arms.

Curious that he didn't use {ghubDaQ} "first-born child" which he introduced in HolQeD 9.3:8.  I wonder if he forgot about it?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons