[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh javmaH chorgh: SuchwI'pu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 25 06:19:37 PDT 2012

>>> chob'a'Daq ghutar luqIm nuv law'.  lagh Qup luDech cha'maH
>>> SuvwI'pu'.  jatlhlI' ghutar. tonSaw', quv je poj.  rurchuq
>>> 'ej rurbe'chuq. jatlhDI' latlhpu' ghoHbe'. ghaqbej.  quv
>>> luqeltaHvIS may'morgh lurur.

ghunchu'wI':
>>I don't understand the use of {may'morgh} here. Doesn't it mean
>>basically the gear (uniform, armor, weapons, etc.) someone would wear
>>when going to battle?

Qov:
> Ah, didn't know that. I thought that was covered by {may'luch} and
> that {may'morgh} was more like a battle formation, warriors arrayed
> for battle: serious, ready to protect one another and act to advance
> together in response to opportunities.  Do we have canon, or are we
> just attributing different ideas to an unknown word?

Qov is right.  {may'luch} "battle gear, panoply, complete set of armor and weapons":

KGT 57:  A warrior's full set of armor, including weapons and clothing, is his {may'luch} (literally, "battle gear"). Traditional clothing worn in battle, known as {HIp}, the word currently used to mean "uniform", had both a protective function and a more utilitarian one, since it was from the clothing that weapons ({nuHmey}) or ammunition ({nIch}) could be hung.

  nuHmeyDaj may'luchDaj nIv je yIr qeylIS
  Kahless gathered his weapons and his finest suit of armor. (PB 181)

{may'morgh} "battle array" has never been used AFAIK.  (Does it appear in the paq'batlh?)  If you Google it you'll see it refers to a battle formation, i.e. the disposition and arrangement of troops on the battlefield {che'ron}.  Think of those maps of battles you see in books about Caesar's Gallic wars, the Napoleonic wars or even WWI trench warfare.  Can anyone think of a Trek reference?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons