[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pe'vIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 23 07:16:30 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   pe'vIl
> Part of speech: adv
> Definition:     forcefully, by force

Used in a sentence:

pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
Curse well! ("Shoot curses forcefully!" [i.e. Good luck!]) TKW

pe'vIl bI'chu'
forcefully sweep away (idiom) [KGT 112]:

romuluSnganpu' Dujmey DIQaw'pu'; pe'vIl DIbI'chu'pu'
We destroyed the Romulans' ships all at once. KGT

pe'vIl roS
he/she uses his/her third toe forcefully
[IDIOM: "which conveys the idea that he or she is particularly agile or nimble or spry" (HQ 10.2:11)

There's also a nearly unintelligible line by Gen. Grokh in ST6, the second part of which defies all attempts at transcription:

Qo'! pe'vIl DIHIvlaH, <QaplaH> tlhob <be---HaH>   (???)
We can take whole by force, what they propose to divide.

Cultural notes:

KGT 78:  The drinking songs are always sung loudly (this would probably be described by using the term {pe'vIl} ["forcefully"]), seldom with instrumental accompaniment, and they tend to be rather lengthy ({nI'}) and, from a non-Klingon perspective, repetitive.

CK:  As you practice speaking, remember: Speak Klingon boldly; do not be meek or hesitant. This could be interpreted as a sign of weakness, a less than admirable trait among Klingons.

PRIVATE PUN:
"At Farpoint 1.5 weeks ago, Marc Okrand ... said that he made the word what it is because of twins he knew, Pat & Phil, whose names he incorporated into this word." (taD, [date?])

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons