[Tlhingan-hol] To-Be-Constructions

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 2 10:38:38 PDT 2012

There's another example of the {X 'oH pongwIj'e'} formula in the {paq'batlh} (p. 127):

  luqara['] 'oH pongwIj'e'

I don't remember if the SkyBox Copyright notice has been mentioned:

  Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je

  Star Trek" and related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures. (Copyright)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: De'vID jonpIn [mailto:de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com]

loghaD:
> I prefer {X 'oH pongwIj'e'}, for much the same reasons as others have explained (my name is the topic of the discussion), but canon seems to lean in the other direction.

There's one canon example with the template "X's name is Y":

  {'u' 'oH ghe'naQ pong} [sic]
  "The name of the opera is 'u'." (i.e., "The opera's name is 'u'.")

MO seems to have made a mistake in dropping the {-'e'}, but otherwise the grammar is {X 'oH pong[Daj]'e'}.  There's also this from SkyBox card 27:

  {roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.}
  "[Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld."