[Tlhingan-hol] To-Be-Constructions

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 07:40:38 PDT 2012

loghaD:
> I prefer {X 'oH pongwIj'e'}, for much the same reasons as others have
explained (my name is the topic of the discussion), but canon seems to lean
in the other direction.

There's one canon example with the template "X's name is Y":

{'u' 'oH ghe'naQ pong} [sic]
"The name of the opera is 'u'." (i.e., "The opera's name is 'u'.")

MO seems to have made a mistake in dropping the {-'e'}, but otherwise the
grammar is {X 'oH pong[Daj]'e'}.

There's also this from SkyBox card 27:
{roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.}
"[Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld."

loghaD:
> Looking at some examples (from memory, since klingonska.org/canon appears
to be down):

> Sojvetlh 'oH nuq'e'? ("What is that food?")

This was given in PK as the pronunciation in the standard dialect of a
Morskan dialect sentence.  I wonder if the grammar is not also odd?

loghaD:
> Dochvam nuq? ("What's this thing?")
>
> yIH nuq? ("What is a tribble?")

In both of these cases, the question word is acting as a pronoun, and these
aren't {-'e'} constructions.